With editions around the world, CNN asks viewers to celebrate people who are altering their communities for the better
CNN honors 10 men and women for making the world a better place
CNN, with international editions in more than 220 countries and territories, launched the Heroes of Humanity campaign, recognising 10 people who are improving their communities for the better in five different categories: men, women, countries, cultures and communities.
The network launched the Heroes of Humanity campaign in 2015, and in 2017 announced 25 remarkable people.
CNN in interview booth with Dylann Roof-Killed In Terror Attack
Leading the way in the five categories, selected by an international jury, are educators known for their research into wellness. The ten included:
• Ed Hardison – A professor of Integrative Oncology at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School, he is a national expert on cancer survivorship in cancer survivors who are afraid of dying.
• Shirin Entofeganian – Is an MIT professor who conducts the world’s largest market research study into joy. Her idea transformed the very definition of happiness.
• Per-Olof Linder – A joint winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 2015, Per-Olof Linder is a chemistry professor at MIT who developed radical new antimicrobial countermeasures to fight epidemics and other threats to public health.
• Zulfi Alam – This Bangladeshi scientist was a prime inspiration behind the invention of an early wearable and stabilising heart pump.
• Ida Carruthers – A senior science policy analyst at the World Bank who regularly reaches out to governments around the world to advocate for a better understanding of the social and environmental factors that contribute to water scarcity.
• Helen Steiner – A senior researcher at the Institute for Healthy Environments at Harvard University, she is an advocate for reducing inequity in domestic violence among women and children and also for the end of violence against children.
• Frank Vatrano – An Englishman who had no idea of the significance of the Great Wall of China until he was offered the opportunity to walk the 100-mile (160-km) corridor across its length.
• Nate Schlein-A survivor of trauma and abuse, he is a mental health activist on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC and dedicated to defending victims of mental health-related abuse.
The awards ceremony will take place on CNN on 6 March, at 8pm Eastern Time, just ahead of the 90th annual International Emmy Awards in New York.
Make the world a better place: Choose for your story: heroes of humanity, each of which was chosen by an international jury, was presented by Brian Stelter on CNN Tonight, Tuesday 13 February at 10.10pm Eastern.
CNN Worldwide is a portfolio of two dozen news and information services across cable, satellite, radio, wireless devices and the Internet in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. Domestically, CNN reaches more individuals on television, the web and mobile devices than any other cable TV news organization in the United States; internationally, CNN is the most widely distributed news channel reaching more than 271 million households abroad; and CNN Digital is a top network for online news, mobile news and social media. Additionally, CNN Newsource is the world’s most extensively utilized news service partnering with hundreds of local and international news organizations around the world. CNN is division of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner Company.